APPLICANTS CAN RECEIVE JUST UNDER $5 MILLION IN NON-REPAYABLE FUNDING FOR THE PRE-COMMERCIALIZATION OF FOOD PROCESSING PRODUCTS, PROCESSES AND/OR PROCEDURES.
The AgriScience Program (Projects) will contribute 50% to just under $5 million towards private sector pre-commercial science activities and cutting-edge short-term research which lead to new technologies, products, practices, processes and systems benefiting agriculture and agri-food sector and Canadians.
Projects are expected to address at least one of the following program priorities:
- Improve support for minor commodities, emerging, and transformative areas. For example:
- conducting scientific research that addresses emerging market potential of small production crops and livestock.
- value-added transformation, e.g. bioproducts from agricultural fibre and agricultural residue from plants
- improve agricultural production, such as the application of emerging technologies (e.g. robotics, sensors, artificial intelligence, big data analytics).
- Invest in research, discovery, and applied science for major commodity sectors (canola, wheat, dairy, beef, and pork, etc.) to:
- maintain sector economic growth,
- increase agricultural productivity, improving traits for food and non-food uses, addressing threats to the agriculture and agri-food value chain, and/or improving environmental performance.
- boost crop variety development, finishing, and/or, resistance to pest and disease
- address agreed upon priorities of the sector (such as those identified by the Value Chain Round Tables)
- Enhance efforts in clean growth, environment, and climate change, such as:
- addressing environmental challenges and adaptation to changing climate, agricultural impacts on air, water, and soil
- reducing Green House Gas (GHG) emissions
- transforming agricultural products into biofuels
- water management and soil management
- Accelerate growth of Canada’s food and beverage processing or value-added sector. For example:
- ensuring the safety and quality of foods
- research addressing market access issues leading to increased exports
- Strengthen knowledge transfer and adoption of research. For example:
- ensuring that research programs include consideration of end users and practical application of research results
- making information readily available in formats easily accessible, such as social media, brochures, videos
Projects can be for up to 5 years during which time eligible project-related costs include capital acquisitions, employee wages, consultant and researcher fees, administration expenses, travel, and facility rental disbursements. The fund does not support activities, including research, occurring at the commercialization phase of development for products, practices, processes, systems, or technologies.
Comments are closed