For a Good Time, Read This…
Government Pays for Parties!!!
The Celebrate Ontario 2018 program provides funding to new or existing Ontario festivals and events that will lead to increased tourism and visitor spending. Eligible applicants include businesses and registered not-for-profit organizations that have been in operation for at least 1 year as of January 1, 2018. Requested funding must be directly related to project expenditures and cannot include costs that would have otherwise been incurred by the applicant (e.g. recurring expenses to run the organization hosting the event). Eligible costs include but are not limited to:
- Fees, travel and accommodation for artists, musicians, performers, celebrities, special guests, speakers and entertainment agencies.
- Cost for new programming (e.g. fireworks, amusement and midway shows, inflatable play-structures and specialty attractions).
- Movable assets (not a permanent installation) that support enhanced programs and services (e.g. tables, bleachers, chairs, tents, awnings, canopies, stages, mascots, sound, lighting, fencing).
- Fees paid for audiovisual support as well as technical and stage crews.
- Services for visitors such as people with disabilities, security, sanitation, shuttling, etc., as well as for festival and event greening.
- Marketing and promotional activities, including the development of a mobile application for the event.
- Promotional activities that encourage overnight stays.
- Audience surveys, research or economic impact studies.
.Ineligible expenses include:
- Permanent staff salaries.
- Legal, audit or interest fees.
- Web development.
Maximum funding levels are:
- $25,000 for festivals and events with operating budgets of less than $250,000.
- $50,000 for festivals and events with planned operating budgets between $250,000 and $1 million
- $150,000 for festivals and events with planned operating budgets of more than $1 million.
Maximum funding available for existing festivals is:
- $50,000 for festivals and events with operating budgets of less than $250,000.
- $100,000 for festivals and events with planned operating budgets between $250,000 and $1 million.
- $300,000 for festivals and events with planned operating budgets of more than $1 million.
Calculation of operating budgets cannot include in-kind expenses and contributions, expenditures not specific to the project, and/or potential Celebrate Ontario funding. Projects must occur between April 1, 2018 and March 31, 2019 and be open to the public at large without membership in a club or group. Applicants with an operating budget of $1 million or more are eligible to apply for 2 years of funding for an existing event, capped at $275,000/year. Ineligible festivals or events include those conducted solely or primarily as charitable fundraising events, seek to attract only a special interest audience or recruit new members (e.g., religious or political gatherings and workshops); that are of a primarily commercial nature, trade and consumer shows, symposia, conventions, meetings and conferences, or anniversaries (e.g. civic, national or foreign holidays and anniversaries, awards ceremonies, seminars and clinics). Multiple applications for different events may be submitted, however only one application per event will be accepted. The deadline for applications is November 9, 2017.
Comments are closed