The CanExport Funding Program
- The CanExport funding program offers government grants of 75% up to $75,000
- Funding provided for new export market development activities (i.e. in export markets generating less than $100,000 or 10% of total annual sales)
- Eligible expenditures include:
- Travel to export markets
- Tradeshow attendance
- Product promotion
- Export market research
- Development of new marketing tools for international markets (e.g. translation of brochures into another language)
- Legal/advisory fees, such as for securing a distribution agreement or IP protection
- Incorporated businesses/limited liability partnerships with less than 500 full time employees, and annual sales of $100,000 to $100 million, may apply
- Project expenses must be at least $20,000 to be considered for a government grant
The CanExport program offers government grants to Canadian businesses in support of export market development projects. Funding is provided for activities such as trade show participation, product promotion and travel to international markets to help businesses accelerate sales growth in new export markets.
Since its inception, the CanExport program has awarded over $21 million in government grants to 1,700 Canadian businesses in support of new export market development. As a result, participants have secured a total of over $376 million in new export sales.
Have a question about the CanExport funding program? See CanExport:Frequently Asked Questions
How to Begin
To access CanExport funding, businesses should start by identifying up to 5 potential export markets generating sales of less than $100,000 or 10% of total annual sales. Next, companies should investigate potential customers (such as distributors), trade shows and events as well as any export regulations that need to be met. Related expenditures such as promotional materials, travel and event registration fees will then need to be determined. Expenditures should be incremental (i.e. not standard operating costs) and justifiably lead to new sales in export markets. If approved, applicants can receive government grant funding for up to 75% of project costs to a maximum of $75,000.
Applications for the CanExport funding program can be accessed, completed and submitted online. Typically, an application is approximately 10-12 pages in length. The time to complete an application varies depending on export market readiness.
As project costs incurred prior to receiving CanExport approval are considered ineligible for funding, companies should apply at least 4 weeks before their project’s planned start date. Reimbursements are provided to successful applicants after eligible costs are incurred and claimed.
*Please note: Companies can submit more than one application but must complete their initial project before receiving additional export market development funding from the CanExport program.
Applications are evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Incrementality: The project goes beyond core operating activities and yields incremental results (e.g. new sales)
- Export Business Case: Strength of the application’s export business case, and applicant preparedness
- Alignment to Government Trade Strategies/Priorities: Increasing international presence of Canadian businesses, specifically those that are owned/lead by women, LGBTQ2 and visible minorities
- Market Potential: Target markets present opportunities for new sales
- History and Export Readiness: Previous success completing export market development projects
For more information, please feel free to contact us or view our CanExport funding program bulletin.
How We Can Help
As Canada’s oldest and largest government funding consulting service, INAC Services Limited has over 30 years of experience in obtaining government grants, loans, tax credits and energy incentives for business. We have applied for and have been awarded more government funding than any other firm in Canada. Our firm has secured government grants and tax credits for businesses involved in a variety of sectors such as agriculture, food processing, manufacturing, advanced technology, forestry and mining.
Our grant writers are professionals representing various industries. Their skill and experience has helped our clients to receive nearly $1 billion in funding since inception.
We have written numerous funding applications to secure grants for export market development. Our success rate and years of experience will help you secure funding for your business. By charging a contingency fee based on our success, we eliminate the financial risk of applying for a grant.
- 2019 Update – CanExport Funding Increases to 75% up to $75,000: On August 22, 2019, CanExport announced updated program details and eligibility criteria, including increasing funding amounts
- FAQs for CanExport Grants: Commonly asked questions regarding eligibility, application process, etc
- CanExport Applicant Guide: Program rules, eligibility requirements and details
- Trade Shows and Events Calendar: A curated list of programs and events to help exporters
- Ontario’s Trade Facts Sheets: One-page summaries of Ontario’s trade relationships with various international markets
- EDC Information on International Markets: Export requirements, restrictions and information on conducting business in different countries
More Government Funding for Export Market Development
Market Access Initiative: Grants of 75% up to $30,000 offered to Ontario-based organizations involved in the agriculture, agri-food and agri-products sector for domestic and export market development. Eligible applicants include businesses and not-for-profit organizations that have been directly impacted by trade restrictions (e.g. tariffs).