Up to $1 Million for Marketing and Equipment Purchases!
Government Grant for Rural Business!
The Rural Economic Development (RED) program will contribute 20% up to $1,000,000 in grant funding towards the planning and implementation of initiatives that will retain or create employment and/or economic growth in communities with populations of 100,000 or less (or having fewer than 100 people/km²). Funding for businesses and food processors is available for the following types of projects:
- Business Plans/Strategies. Creation/development of business, strategic, human resources, training and marketing plans
- Applied Research and Analysis. Business/sector/economic analysis, collaborative research, R&D, feasibility studies and market research.
- Business/sector development and diversification. Business fairs, mentoring, training, diversification, supply chains and best practices sharing, new technology and equipment purchases, etc.
- Marketing, promotional and/or branding activities. Website development, branding strategies, marketing, tradeshows, advertising.
- Workforce development, attraction and retention. Youth, newcomer and labour attraction/retention, programs for leadership development, entrepreneurship, mentorship, as well as industry and sector training.
Eligible costs include but are not limited to equipment purchases, delivery and installation (including related production facility renovations and retrofitting), consulting fees (e.g. legal, architectural, and engineering), marketing and North America travel expenses. RED does not support any expenses incurred prior to receiving program approval or real estate purchases and upgrades (e.g. sewers, paving, hydro lines, etc.). The awarded amount of funding for businesses and food processors will be determined by the number of applications plus a project’s resulting:
- Job retention/creation, and attracting a highly skilled workforce
- Market expansion (e.g. increased presence in domestic and export markets)
- Increased efficiency, productivity or economic competitiveness for rural business
- Collaborations that promote economic growth
- Increased ability to measure economic performance and outcomes
The next deadline to apply for funding is January 15th, 2016 (e.g. in 14 weeks).